Links to Hiking and Backpacking Websites
Of course, we all know the Interweb is mighty in knowledge and information. And to that end one could search for many hours to find a site that is useful, believable, reliable, actually informative, well written, etc. So, I've saved you some time by putting together a list of websites that have been helpful to me in my quest for reliable information about hiking and backpacking (and a little on climbing).
Here's what I have not included in my list:
- I have not included many blogs, because I haven't found many opinion pieces particularly useful on this subject... I'd rather have information with some research behind it.
- I have not included retail websites because those are easy to find.
- The politically over-charged or insanely slanted
Here's what I have included:
- On line magazines, unlike blogs, tend to have opinions from many sources and cover broad subject areas.
- Organizations and non-profits that support healthy and responsible outdoor activities. Some of them may be conservationist leaning, but that is by default part of what makes for a decent, respectful human while enjoying our natural resources (i.e., the practice of leave no trace)
- Trail finding and trip report resources, skill building information, tips/techniques/how-tos, safety and survival practices, food prep, videos and photos, gear reviews, and information on our great outdoor culture.
Home of on-line magazine, 50 Campfires. Provides articles on cooking, gear, tips, and locations.
Home of Adventure Journal Quarterly. Adventure Journal is an online magazine devoted to outdoor adventure in all its forms.
AllTrails is the leading digital network focused on outdoor enthusiasts, providing 1 million people monthly with the information and tools to discover top destinations near them.
American Alpine Club
A United Community of Competent Climbers And Healthy Climbing Landscapes
American Hiking Society
American Hiking Society is the only national organization that promotes and protects foot trails, their surrounding natural areas, and the hiking experience.
Home of Backpacker Magazine. Information about trips, skills, survival, news, events, gear, and video/photo libraries.
Chef Glenn provides backpacking recipes, menus, and techniques for cooking on the trail.
Backpacking Light provides information and education about hiking and backpacking, and hosts the world’s most passionate community of people dedicated to traveling light.
Hiking in Colorado and the Western US
Introduction to hiking in the Western US with a list of super helpful resource links
We are a community built around passion for the outdoors. For over 100 years, we've been teaching skills, sharing adventures, creating volunteers, and conserving land.
Home of Outside Magazine. Information about gear, travel, adventure, culture, and videos.
ProTrails provides detailed hiking, biking and trail running descriptions, maps and community tools for connecting outdoor enthusiasts.
Trails.com is designed for outdoor enthusiasts by outdoor enthusiasts. We are happy to bring you thousands of trail guides, topographic maps, tips and useful information for hiking mountain biking, snowshoeing, mountaineering, trail running and water sports.
Many thousands of reviews on pretty much every single piece of gear you would find for sale in an outdoor store.
Our Motto will always be: “Do not take what you do not like to eat.” The Long Way to backpacking bliss……I learned how to not eat the hard way, which also seemed to involve carrying a rather large (and quaint) backpack, back in the day.
An active community of hiking journal writers, Trail Journals connects hikers past and present with family, friends, and other hikers.
We are passionate about Good Food and Mother Nature, and even when we are "on-the-go", we can't stop cooking delicious meals.
All things thru-hiking.
We are the leading American conservation organization working to protect our nation’s shared wildlands.